Laguna Phuket Triathlon
Rules Applying to all Segments of the Race
1. Participants are required to heed directions and instructions of all race officials and public authorities.
2. Course marshals shall have authority to disqualify participants.
3. Medical personnel shall have ultimate and final authority to remove a participant from the race if the participant is judged to be physically incapable of continuing the race without risk of serious injury or death. Medical transport of any participant will result in disqualification.
4. No contestant may use any drug or substance as prescribed by IOC Doping Control rules.
5. Fraud, theft, abusive treatment of volunteers and other acts of poor sportsmanship are grounds for immediate disqualification.
6. If a contestant decides to withdraw from the race at any time, it is the responsibility of the contestant to notify official timing personnel or race officials immediately. Failure to notify may result in rejection of the athlete's entry for future Laguna Phuket Triathlon races.
7. Laguna Phuket Triathlon reserves the right to make rule changes at any time provided all athletes are notified in writing or at the pre-race mandatory course briefing.
8. All athletes who reach the cut-off points after the cut-off times are required to take a shortened course. Athletes will be allowed to complete the race but will not be entitled to win age-group awards.
Any contestant who wishes to lodge a protest regarding any decision of the race administration or the conduct of any other competitor(s) must file a written protest with the Race Director within 30 minutes of completing or withdrawing from the race.
Swim - 1.8k
1. The race will start with two wave starts. The Wave #1 will go off at 7am and include athletes entered in the individual race category. Wave #2 will go off at 7:10am and include ALL relays and those athletes entered in the individual race category opting to start in this wave.
2. Swimmers starting in Wave #2 MUST cross the swim check-in mat between 7:02am (after Wave #1) and 7:10am. ANY RELAY SWIMMER NOT CROSSING THIS MAT WILL BE ASSUMED TO HAVE STARTED IN WAVE #1 AND WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. ANY INDIVIDUAL SWIMMER NOT CROSSING THIS MAT WILL BE ASSUMED TO HAVE STARTED IN WAVE #1 AND WILL HAVE HIS/HIS FINAL TIME CALCULATED FROM THE WAVE #1 STARTING TIME.
3. The final time of all athletes/teams starting in Wave #2 will be adjusted for the time difference between Wave #1 and Wave #2. For example, if Wave #2 starts 10:01 behind Wave #1, 10:01 will be subtracted from the final time (and all splits) of all athletes starting in Wave #2.
4. Each swimmer must wear the official race cap. In the event that more than one swim cap is worn, the official race cap must be worn as the outer layer.
5. All swimmers must be numbered at the Transition Area at the Laguna Beach Resort Y-junction when checking in equipment between 6.30am - 7.45am.
6. No wetsuits, fins, aqua socks, gloves, paddles or floatation devices of any kind allowed. The average water temperature in December is 25°C/77°F.
7. Swim goggles or face masks may be worn.
8. No individual paddlers or escorts are allowed.
9. Swimmers may accept assistance from any source provided they do not improve their competitive position without penalty or disqualification.
10. It is legal for athletes to arrange for family, friends or coaches to hand-off eyeglasses and other special items after the swim, all such hand-offs must be made along the chute between the swim finish and the Transition Area.
Bike - 55k
1. No tandems, recumbents, fairings or any devices designed exclusively to reduce air resistance are allowed.
2. DRAFTING: Riding in a stationary position within 7 metres of another contestant is illegal drafting. It is the responsibility of each contestant to maintain legal spacing and the decision of course marshals pertaining to drafting violations shall be final. At their discretion, course marshals may issue these penalties for draft zone violations:
(A) Yellow Card - Foot Down Penalty: Athletes shown a yellow card, or where a penalty is otherwise indicated by a marshal, shall immediately and safely bring their bike to a complete stop on the left edge of the road and put both feet on the road surface. When indicated to do so by the marshal, the athletes may remount their bike and continue the race. The marshal shall in his sole discretion determine the length of the penalty. There will be no further time penalties assessed at the end of the bike. Any athlete arguing with the marshal or otherwise demonstrating against a drafting penalty shall be immediately disqualified.
(B) Red Card - Disqualification: Athletes repeatedly or intentionally violating the draft zone shall be shown a red card or otherwise indicated by a marshal that he or she has been disqualified. While disqualified athletes may ride back to Laguna Phuket to gather their equipment, any argument or protest against the disqualification, effort to continue the race, or pass through the timing point at the bike/run transition shall result in expulsion from future Laguna Phuket Triathlons.
3. Each participant must wear a race number at all times while on course. Race numbers issued by the Laguna Phuket Triathlon identify the official contestants in the race. Folding, cutting race number, intentional alteration of any kind, or failure to wear race number so that it is plainly visible is strictly prohibited and may result in disqualification.
4. ANSI or SNELL approved helmet is required during the entire bike race. Any contestant seen riding without an approved helmet will be immediately disqualified. Leather or vinyl hairnet helmets are not allowed. Helmets must be securely buckled at all times competitors are on the bike.
5. No individual support is allowed except as permitted by these rules. Friends, family members, coaches or supporters of any type may not bike or drive alongside contestants, may not pass food or other items to contestants and should be warned to stay completely clear of all participants to avoid the disqualification of a participant. It is incumbent upon each contestant to immediately reject any attempt to assist, follow or escort.
6. Each participant will be individually responsible for repair and maintenance of his/her own bike. Assistance by anyone other than race personnel will be grounds for immediate disqualification. Each cyclist should be prepared to handle any possible mechanical malfunction.
7. Cyclists are required to heed directions and instructions of all race officials and public authorities.
8. Participants may walk their bike if necessary.
9. Cyclists are individually responsible for following traffic laws and are solely responsible for the consequences of any infractions. Cyclists riding in violation of traffic laws may be disqualified. At all times, contestants should remain on the left side of the road.
10. While there will be traffic control on the bike course, it may be impossible to close the roads. Therefore, at all times during the race, contestants should assume that cars may be on the road and take all necessary safety precautions.
11. Yellow Line Rule: On out and back sections (two way bike traffic) on the course, contestants must stay on the left side of the road at all times, except when a contestant is directed to cross the yellow line by a race official. Any contestant crossing the mid-point of the road will be disqualified or time-penalized.
12. The bike course has both flat and some steep hilly sections. We recommend 24-28 tooth rear sprockets. Athletes are advised to take extreme care on all turns and in areas where there are driveways.
13. Because of the heat, it is highly recommended that all competitor bikes have a minimum of two water bottle cages.
14. Yellow Flag Area and Rules: The purpose of the Yellow Flag Area is to slow all bikes to a safe speed through a dangerous area and to assure athletes that they will not suffer a competitive disadvantage by riding carefully through the area. The one Yellow Flag Area is located approximately at the 8k mark on a very steep curvy downhill on the bike course. This area is approximately 600 metres long. A white line across the road and a race official waving a yellow flag identify the start of the Yellow Flag Area. Inside the Yellow Flag Area riders must:
- Sit up on handlebars with hands on the brakes.
- Ride no faster than 20 kph.
- Not pass any other athletes.
Any athlete failing to follow Yellow Flag Area rules and restrictions will be penalized between 1 and 5 minutes depending upon the severity of the violation. Athletes attempting to take a competitive advantage in a Yellow Flag Area will be most heavily penalized. A white line across the pavement and an official waving a green flag identify the end of the Yellow Flag Area. Once the rider exits the Yellow Flag Area he/she may immediately resume racing.
Bike Cut-off Times:
Cut-off #1 at 31k: 10:30am
Cut-off #2 at 40k: 11:00am
Run - 12k
1. No form of locomotion other than running, walking or crawling is allowed.
2. Runners must wear race number at all times while on course. Race number must be placed on front of runner where it is clearly visible. Folding, cutting race number, intentional alteration of any kind, or failure to wear race number is strictly prohibited and may result in disqualification.
3. Individual support vehicles or non-participant escort runners are NOT allowed and will result in disqualification. A non-participant escort runner includes participants who have withdrawn from the race, have been disqualified or have finished the race. Friends, family members, coaches or supporters of any type may not bike, drive or run alongside contestants, may not pass food or other items to contestants and should be warned to stay completely clear of all participants to avoid the disqualification of a participant. It is incumbent upon each contestant to immediately reject any attempt to assist, follow or escort. It is permissible for a contestant who is still competing to run with other contestants who are still competing.
4. Runners are expected to follow the direction and instruction of all race officials and public authorities.
5. The 2007 race course will be a 6k course of which competitors must complete two laps to finish the 12k course.
Run Cut-off Times:
Cut-off #1 at 7k: 11:45am (soft)
Cut-off #1 at 7k: 12:00pm (hard)
Cut-off #2 at 5/11k: 12:00pm (soft)
Cut-off #2 at 5/11k: 12:15pm (hard)